Friday, April 8, 2011

Swiss Chard, how I love you


Oh Swiss Chard, how I love you! Your seeds can be planted directly into the garden from the time I can work the soil in the spring, through the hot summer, into the fall. You grow so easily and look so pretty in the garden, and you attract so few pests! Your tiny, tender leaves can be put into salads, and your mature leaves can be cooked just like spinach. But, unlike spinach, you don't bolt at the slightest provocation of a hot day. In fact, I can keep harvesting you all season, enjoying your mild flavor in so many recipes that I never tire of you. Your cooked leaves and stems freeze well and thaw well so I can keep enjoying your vitamin-rich goodness all year long. Ah, Swiss Chard, we shall meet again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment