Monday, April 18, 2011

kids need animals

What did I learn from having animal companions as a child?

I learned that animals are individuals with their own personalities, quirks, habits, likes and dislikes. I currently live with two cats. One is independent, inquisitive, smart, and very insistent on having her own way. The other is a big, dumb, lazy, lovable, cuddly guy.

I learned that animals have interests beyond mere food and shelter. Sometimes they desire companionship, freedom, communication, play, intellectual stimulation -- many of the same things humans desire in life.

I learned that wild animals are wild. I kept trying to capture and keep a variety of wild animals when I was a kid. Snakes, turtles, frogs, etc. I would try to re-create their habitat in a homemade fence or pond or terrarium or cardboard box. My Dad would always help them "escape" before I could do any lasting harm to them.

I learned about the evils of pet breeding and pet stores after a disaster with a pet store kitten. It was a hard lesson for my family to learn, but after that we only had rescued animals.

I learned about death and grieving. I learned that you can adopt another animal but they never take the place of the one you lost. I learned to enjoy the good memories and the new personalities simultaneously.

I learned about patience and perseverance in relationship building. My first cat (I was about 9 years old) was skittish and shy. She eventually became friendly with me and only me. It was years before she would accept the companionship of other people. Later, I had an even tougher case when an adult cat was dropped by my first rental house. It took weeks to coax her inside and longer to get her to the vet. For years, no one saw her but me and my husband. She didn't become friendly to anyone else until she got old and deaf and senile. Then her personality completely changed and she started to love people!

I think that kids should have rescued animal companions for all the reasons above and more. I know some kids who were never allowed pets. Some are scared of animals, others indifferent. I know that one of the most common reasons I hear for people to go vegan is that they realized there is no moral difference between a dog or a cat and a cow or pig. How will people ever make that connection if they have never had a relationship with a non-human animal?

No comments:

Post a Comment