Sunday, July 3, 2011

Two good dining experiences

There are no vegan restaurants close to where I live. I am used to going out to eat with omnis and finding the one thing on the menu that can be "veganized" or asking the chef to prepare something and explaining the rules to the server. Fortunately, I enjoy cooking and we don't eat out that often. When my husband and I eat out, we will frequently visit one of the fine ethnic restaurants nearby so that it's easier for me to choose vegan fare.
Last night, on our way to a jazz concert at Skidmore College, we did just that. We ate at an Indian restaurant in Saratoga Springs called Karavalli. It has a pleasant atmosphere and is conveniently located in the downtown area with parking lots nearby and lots of places in the city within walking distance. There is a section of the menu that is labeled "vegetarian" AND a section labeled "vegan!" We shared a veggie appetizer and then I had excellent chana masala. None of the dessert choices was vegan, but I was full of delicious flavorful food by that time anyway. The bill came to $60 for the two of us, with an appetizer, two entrees (he ordered the priciest one, I think), one dessert, and coffee. We don't drink alcohol, so we stuck to Saratoga sparkling water.

An even cooler dining experience happened last week when my friend and I traveled to Massachusetts to visit the sculpture gardens at the Three Sisters Sanctuary in Goshen, and the bridge of flowers in Shelburne Falls. This was an outing planned purely for pleasure, to celebrate the successful completion of another school year. We had lunch at the Cafe Evolution in Florence, MA, and I can only say that I wish this incredible restaurant was in my town! Completely vegan, Cafe evolution has a casual, coffee-house-like atmosphere with small tables, a counter, and some big comfy chairs and couches. The seating area is fairly large with nice windows and some plants. I have to say that after more than 20 years as a vegetarian, and now a vegan, I was a little overwhelmed by being able to choose ANYTHING from the menu, and it took me a few minutes to decide. I'm used to scanning quickly for the one or two items that might be acceptable, then waiting for the waitress to come so I can ask questions! It was a little disorienting to have so many choices. My friend and I both settled on a special called "Bowl of Beauty" which was a generously sized bowl lined with yummy fresh greens, then tasty brown rice, topped with a medley of roasted veggies, chickpeas and lentils in a thick stew-like sauce. It was very flavorful with a little bit of heat to it -- just right! Although we were both full afterward, we couldn't resist the glass case of delicious-looking baked goods. While I can find things to eat at most omni restaurants, I can almost NEVER eat the desserts. The novelty of this was too much to resist, and I had a decadent chocolate/peanut butter rice crispy bar. My friend has less of a sweet tooth than I do, and she had a muffin and bought some gluten-free cookies to take home to her husband.
If you're in Western Mass, please check out Cafe Evolution. It's too far away for me to patronize often, so I hope it remains successful and I can visit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment