Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Good Day for the Garden


I turned off the radio after a time this morning because I couldn't take the constant alarmist heat warnings. "It's HOT, you're all going to DIE!"
Yeah, it's warm today for the Northeast. So what? Take breaks and drink water. Don't be stupid. I hate it just as much when the announcers go crazy because it's going to snow. We live in upstate New York. We know about snow. Calm down.

Whatever you may think of this hot humid weather we're having, it's absolutely fabulous for the vegetable garden. It's early for eggplant and red peppers and large tomatoes, hooray! If all goes well, I'll be able to fill the freezer and eat well all summer.

I planted the pole beans too thickly and it's like a treasure hunt to harvest them! But at least I'll have plenty of beans and the critters didn't win this year. I'm not complaining.

I picked up an intriguing book on water bath canning last week and I'm determined to try at least one recipe at some point this summer. I'm thinking salsa or tomatoes or sauce, since they are high in acid and I'm less likely to mess up. Plus, those things are typically made later in the summer when having large boiling pots of water in the kitchen all morning won't be so silly.

I have the usual glut of summer squash. We grilled some the other night with a garlic marinade. I chopped some up into 1/2" pieces and sauteed it with onion and garlic and salsa and pinto beans and put it into whole wheat wraps another night. Oh, and the ubiquitous zucchini bread, of course.

I love summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment