Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Seeds are sprouting!

Bell pepper seeds have sprouted and tomato seeds are now in six-packs under the lights, on the heat mat! My plan for this summer's vegetable garden includes peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, chard, beans, peas, radish, beets, squash, garlic, rhubarb, asparagus, raspberries, and hopefully blueberries. I planted three dwarf blueberry bushes last summer, and I think one survived. If it did, I'll need to plant more because they need to cross-pollinate in order to produce fruit.
I decided not to use my limited garden space to grow things that are cheap and decent at the supermarket. So no onions this summer, and no carrots.
Meanwhile, I have almost exhausted the store of vegetables I froze last fall. I ate the last of the eggplant and summer squash last week. There is one tub of sauce left, a couple of containers of shredded zucchini (for making quick bread) and some pie apples and rhubarb. Spring can't come soon enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment