Friday, August 28, 2009

Great Green Kitchen Ideas


Here is a great idea for the kitchen. My Dad made this bag drier from a block of wood, some decorative dowels he found at the craft store, and a couple of shells glued on for decoration. You could make a simpler one with just a block of wood and dowels, but I think the wooden tulips actually help hold the bag open to dry faster. I reuse zip-loc bags as many times as possible, washing them out and hanging them to dry. I also save the reusable plastic bags that frozen fruit comes in, the produce or bulk bin bags from the grocery store, and any others I can possibly hang on to. I keep the produce bags and tote bags I use for groceries in a milk crate in the trunk of my car so I remember to bring them into the store. I also bring my own bags to the farmer's market -- the folks there really appreciate it because they have to save or collect bags for their customers.

Another kitchen item I wouldn't want to do without is my ceramic compost holder. It is attractive, doesn't take up too much counter space (it's about the size of a gallon jug), and saves me from having to take scraps to the compost bin every single day. It has holes in the cover and a carbon filter to eliminate odor. I got it from Gardener's Supply, but Amazon carries them as well. There are stainless steel versions, but I got a cobalt one to match the rest of my kitchen.

I don't have a lot of counter space, but these two items are in constant use, so they definitely deserve their permanent place in the kitchen. The things I use less frequently, such as the food processor, waffle iron, bread maker, and crock pot stay in the closet until I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment